Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I'll be gray by next spring.

Wedding planning is turning out to be more stress than I imagined. And I even imagined a lot of stress. I feel very conflicted right now.

Currently we are under TWO pending contracts. One is for the venue I showed you and on April 28, 2012. The other is for May 12, 2012 at a different, outside venue. The first venue is in budget, but I was not in love with it. After seeing the place and meeting the staff, it just wasn't for me. Yes, its beautiful. But its not me. It's not us.

So, we went to another place called the Waterfall Inn. The ceremony would take place outside on a big deck next to...you guessed it...a waterfall. It's truly beautiful and on a private estate. The reception will take place in their Grand Room with decorations and flowers INCLUDED. We'll have the venue for the entire weekend, so rehearsal will go on the night before. And the owner? She doubles as a wedding coordinator. I will have someone with me every step of the way making decisions and telling people where to stand, what to do, etc. She also hires a wait staff along with caterers. All for only $90.00 more than the first venue.

You may be thinking, well it doesn't seem like there is much of a choice, because that's what Fiance thinks too, BUT if we change the venue and the date, we lose the DJ and the people that were going to come and do our hair and makeup.

Can they be replaced? Hopefully. But we had researched and found excellent prices and people for the jobs.

And one more teeny tiny detail. I never ever wanted to have an outdoor wedding. Too much can go wrong. Too much can happen.

So, now I'm trying to talk Fiance into eloping. Or just forgoing the reception all together. He thinks I'm nuts right now, but he isn't the one planning a wedding. He just says, "I wanna be there for the cake tasting." Ah, gotta love him.

Honestly though, is the reception worth it? That's a lot of money that I can put toward a down payment on a house. Everyone says I'll regret it if I don't do the ceremony and the reception. What's your experience?

10 comments:

Southhamsdarling said...

With my daughter getting married on the 11th June, and me being involved every step of the way, I know what stress is about, believe me!! My daughter is getting married in a lovely location about 20 minutes from here, and then we're having the reception back here in our large garden. More stress for me really, trying to get it all looking perfect! I honestly think that it's your day, and you must go with your heart on this one. If you want to forego the reception, then do so. Do not be influenced by anyone else. The venue by the waterfall does sound lovely, and having the wedding co-=ordinator to hold your hand as it were. Sorry, I'm probably not being much help. Just sit back, relax and breathe!! Don't let it all get on top of you this early on is all I would say.

steph c said...

It's completely normal to just say "eff it" and want to elope.. I went through a six month period of that pretty much right after we booked our venue. And shockingly, Scot was the one who said "Steph.. you know you don't want that." And when I really think about it .. he's right. Sure, I just want to marry him (and save us from the wedding planning stress).. but I want my friends and family there. I want to celebrate with everyone. I think you should really think about what would make you happy, and go from there. Everyone's different.. just make sure you think about it!!

And I think the waterfall thing sounds awesome, personally ;)

SkippyMom said...

Since you were engaged at a waterfall I think it makes for nice symetry to be married by one :)

You just need to do what is best for you and what will cause you least amount of stress. Whatever is going to make you and you fiance happy.

I think you have plenty of time to find new hair people and a new DJ. And since you do have the whole venue for the weekend could you feasibly move the wedding inside if the weather doesn't cooperate.

[We all know the weather will tho'!]

Take care and remember to breathe. :)

Bubbles said...

I think your dad would be upset if you left him out of your big day... if you elope take him along with you :P

Lyndylou said...

I think you should go with the one that is "you". Bubbles is right, there is no way you can elope unless your dad come with ya!

I like the fact that at the 2nd venue the lady does everything for you...less stress for you and more time to find another DJ, make up/hairdressing people.

colenic said...

Like everyone else has said you need to do what's right for you....
When we got married it was a comedy of errors one weekend....we got married away from where we lived and were at my parents house- who lived twelve hours and were in the process of moving- for my last dress fitting, they had the wrong petticoat, the reception hall fell through and the invitations were smudged, I looked up and put flights to Vegas on hold and looked up hotel rooms- couldn't find a single one....there was a huge conference going on that weekend....Fate apparently was intervening.
It will get better....I promise...and the day of will be beautiful...

Anonymous said...

Never been married or part of planning a wedding but i think you should go for the second venue. The hair and make up and DJ can be replaced. And the ceremony is only part of the wedding. The icing on the cake for weddings are the receptions so I think you should do the second one.

:)

IWASNTBLOGGEDYESTERDAY said...

I'm in the middle of wedding plans for my daughters oct wedding,so I feel you pain. Gemma said last night, I think I just want to elope lol
oh just niticed your colours, Gemmas are Ivory red and black!!!She ahs a vintage theme, Between the Wars, Greta Garbo/Joan Crawford etc style glam.

we are self catering!!!

your waterfall setting sounds lovely.Good luck with whatever youdecide.

Leigh said...

Hubs and I always say we should have taken all of the money we spent on the ceremony and reception, and just eloped and went to Europe or on a cruise. At the same time, though, we cherish the photos from that wonderful day spent with our families and friends.

MariePhotographie said...

If it were me, I'd want the reception and I think back on my reception and loved every minute of it. Yeah, I definitely think you should have a reception!

Good luck! Weddings can be stressful. :)

Notes She Wrote