Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Very Surprising Surprise

A little background first...

My mother and I do not have the greatest of relationships. Once upon a time we did, but as we both grew older, we grew apart. Once her kids were raised, she turned into a child herself and I don't/didn't agree with a lot of her decisions.

Now that I'm engaged, she has taken a lot of interest in us and is being very helpful. She wants to plan my bridal shower and everything.

Well, Friday night, she came to my house and handed me $100. I was very touched. She doesn't have a lot of money, like at all, and to her, that was a big expense. I cried and thanked her and told her I'd put the money towards my dress, which is on layaway.

The next morning, a call woke me up. It was my mom and she was beyond excited and said, "You're dress is paid for."

I sat up out of bed said, "Whaaa?"

"You're dress. It's paid for. All of it."

"What? How?" There was still $600 left to pay on the dress mind you.

"Your Step Dad and I won $4,000. We paid off your dress."

Yes, they went and played some slot machines. Which they rarely do. Like I said, they don't have much money. They were trying to kill some time before my Step Dad had to play softball, stopped in and won $4,000. Then they drove over to the dress shop and paid for my dress.

I couldn't stop crying.

11 comments:

Amy said...

Wow! What a sweet gesture!!! I hope that your wedding will begin to mend and develop a better relationship with your mom! It's funny the things that will bring people together/back together!

SkippyMom said...

Oh JM I have tears in my eyes. This is such a wonderful gesture - WOW!

That is just lovely. I hope your wedding will bring your Mom back into your life. I understand being estranged, but it is so nice not to be too.

Wow. Wonderful.

Southhamsdarling said...

Jumble, that is such a lovely post today! You see, weddings bring out the best in everyone!! That was such a sweet gesture for your mum and stepdad to do for you. I hope that this will be the beginning of you getting close to your mum again. I bet it gave them so much pleasure to be able to do that for you!

Bubbles said...

omg that is great and the minute they won it to think of you is fantastic too :D.

BB said...

That is really beautiful JM. That she went and did that for you tells you she wants to be part of your life. One step at a time. This gives me hope that my son and I will one day reunite. So happy for you!

steph c said...

This is SO touching. That's amazing that the first thing she thought of doing was to pay off your dress.. she clearly loves you very much. I know it's hard, but I sincerely hope you can work some things out with her!!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

What a great thing for her and your step dad to do and it must have made you feel so happy, it is surprises like that which makes us feel good inside..........

When you said that your mum started acting like a child when her children where grown made me think of my sister but she didn't wait till her kids where grown she started acting like a teenager when she left her first husband..........
drinking and smoking pot and doing other drugs and she wonders why her life ended up in the toilet....she is trying to straighten up now......

Anonymous said...

Your mom did a wonderful thing. I'm glad that happened for both of you and your step dad. I hope that your relationship can grow and you two can be close again. There are times where my mom and I don't get along, but I know that my mom is always there for me. Even when I am a brat.

http://theadorkableditzmissteps.blogspot.com/

Lyndylou said...

that is so lovely!

Leigh said...

What a wonderful gesture, and a load of stress off of your mind, no doubt! They say once you have the wedding dress paid for, the rest is gravy... ;)

Teresa said...

what a wonderful surprise! i'm so glad for you.